- How to get a non-commercial driver license in US?
- How many questions will be asked in the DMV driving theory written test?
- What is the minumum age requirement to apply for a driver license?
- Where can I find more information about getting my driving license in US?
1. How to get a non-commercial driver license in US? ^ top
Following are the steps to apply for a non-commercial driver license in NYS:
Apply for the learner permit, pay the application fee and diver license fee, pass the vision test the DMV written test, receive your learner permit.
Practice for your road test.
Take a driver education course or a DMV-approved pre-licensing course.
Use your form MV-285 driver education certificate or MV-278 pre-licensing course certificate to make an appointment for your road test.
Pass your road test and receive your NYS driver license.
2. How many questions will be asked in the DMV driving theory written test? ^ top
20 multiple-choice questions will be asked in the DMV written permit test.
You are required to answer at least 14 questions correctly to pass.
If you do not pass the DMV written test for a non-CDL class license (class D, DJ, E, M, or MJ), you can take the DMV written test again any number of times without a limit.
For the non-CDL license classes, you do not pay additional fees to take the DMV test more than one time.
If you do not pass, the DMV recommends that you study the Driver`s Manual and take the written test on another day.
If you pass the DMV written test, the DMV issues you a learner permit valid for approximately 5 years. The exact expiration date depends on your date of birth and the date that you applied for the permit.
3. What is the minumum age requirement to apply for a driver license? ^ top
You must be at least 16 years old to to drive in NYS (New York State).
If you have a learner permit or a driver license from another state, you are not exempt from this rule. An out-of-state driver under the age of 18 must also obey all restrictions of the state that issued the driver license.
4. Where can I find more information about getting my driving license in US? ^ top
You may refer to the official website and get the latest information there.
Here are the URLs:
NYS - New York State http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/license.htm
CA - California Department of Motor Vehicles
Driver Handbook : http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/hdbk/driver_handbook_toc.htm
Driver Knowledge Tutorial :
TX - Texas Department of Public Safety
Texas DPS Drivers Handbook / Manual :
Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles
Florida Driver's Handbook :
State of Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles
Sample Learner Permit Knowledge Test :