Alaska Drivers' License Test 2021 - FREE Practice!
DMV Test Simulator and Flashcards :
Alaska Driver's Licnese Info & Resources:
- Alaska Driver's License And State ID
- Alaska DMV Publications - Driver's Handbook, Guide, Manual, Highway Code.
- Alaska Department of Motor Vehicles
- Alaska DMV Regional Office Locations - regional service centers, office hours and addresses.
- Alaska DMV Related Forms and Applications
- Alaska Motor Vehicle Registration
- Moving to Alaska, Non Resident Motorists
- Info for Alaska DMV Teen Drivers
- Official Alaska State Website
Age Requirement of Alaska Driver License
In Alaska, you may apply for your first Alaska Driver License after you turn 18; however, with your parent's help you may qualify sooner. Alaska statutes require parental signature for all minors under the age of 18 who are applying for a driver's license or instruction permit.
If you are younger than 18, you still can apply to drive, but with a different license.
For example, if you are between 14 and 16, you may apply for a instruction permit; If you are between 16 and 18, you may apply for a provisional license.
Documents required for License Application
You must go to a local Division of Motor Vehicles office to apply for your Alaska driver license. You must bring 4 or 5 documents that prove your name and birth date, your current residence and your social security number. When applying, you need to bring one of each type of the following to the DMV.
- Proof of your Legal name and Date of Birth (called the "primary document")
- A second document to verify your "primary document"
- Proof of your current residence
- Proof of your Social Security Number
- Proof of Name Change (if you have changed your legal name)
DMV Tests to Take
To get your Alaska driver license, you will need to pass the DMV written knowledge test, a vision test, and/or a practical road test. You must also pass an alcohol and drug awareness knowledge test to renew your license or to upgrade from a permit to a license.
- DMV Written Knowledge Test
- Vision Test
- Practical Road Test
- Alcohol and Drug Awareness Knowledge Test
The Alaska DMV written test covers only information found in the driver's manual,
including traffic laws, safe driving practices, and highway sign recognition. You will need to answer at least 16 out of the total 20 DMV written knowledge questions correctly
in order to pass. The exam result is immediately made known to you once you finished the test. If failed, the DMV test may be retaken the following day.
Alaska Driver License Types/Categories
Alaska has six classes of driver's licenses and two types of permits.
- D Non-Commercial Driver License
- A B C Commercial Driver License (CDL)
- M1 Motorcycle License (Over 50 cc)
- M2 Motorscooter License (50 cc or less)
- IP Non-Commercial Instruction Permit
- IM Motorcycle Instruction Permit
- IA IB IC Commercial Instruction Permit
Classes A, B, and C are licenses used for operating commercial motor vehicles.
Class D is the license used for operating passenger vehicles. Motorcycles and motorscooters with engine displacements of less than 50cc can also be operated with a class D license.
Class M1 are licenses used to operate motorcycles and motorscooters with engine displacements of 50cc or more. Individuals who are 14 or 15 years of age may obtain a M2 license for motorscooters with an engine displacement of less than 50 cc. The Division of Motor Vehicles publishes a separate manual for persons interested in obtaining a motorcycle license. Instruction permits, which allow for drivers to practice driving, are the IP, IM, and IE classes.
The class S endorsement is used for operating a school bus. A school bus driver endorsement
is required whenever school children are transported for compensation. The Department of
Education publishes a separate school bus driver’s manual. If operating a school bus that qualifies as a commercial motor vehicle, a CDL with an “S” endorsement must be obtained.
Practice Driving Test For Drivers License in USA
To practice the DMV driving license test, click on the state name below, corresponding state DMV test page will be shown.