If you have never been licensed, you must meet the following criteria:
Be at least 18 years old.
Comply with the requirements for a driving permit
Pass the behind-the-wheel road driving test.
California Drivers' License Tests
the class C DMV driver license examinations include:
A vision test
A driver's knowledge dmv written test of traffic laws and road signs - This dmv driving test consists of 36 questions, each question has three answer choices, and only one best option shall be marked as the correct answer. You should get 6 or fewer errors in order to pass if you are applying the original license, and you should get 3 or fewer errors to pass if your are renewing your license. All information covered in the written test could be found in the California Driver Handbook, the handbook works as a study guide for your written test, and you should study the handbook and get yourself prepared before making an appointment and take the test.
A behind-the-wheel road driving test
California Practice Driving Test #1 Sample Questions
1. When you drive through a construction zone, you should:
a. Slow down to watch the workers.
b. Decrease your following distance.
c. Pass the construction zone carefully and not "rubberneck".
2. To make a right turn at the corner, you:
a. May not enter the bicycle lane.
b. Should only merge into the bicycle lane if you stop before turning.
c. Must merge into the bicycle lane before turning.
3. If a traffic signal light is not working, you must:
a. Stop, then proceed when safe.
b. Stop before entering the intersection and let all other traffic go first.
c. Slow down or stop, only if necessary.
4. A pedestrian is crossing your lane but there is no marked cross walk. You should:
a. Make sure the pedestrian sees you, but continue driving.
b. Carefully drive around the pedestrian.
c. Stop and let the pedestrian cross the street.
5. Always use your seat belt:
a. Unless the vehicle was built before 1978.
b. Unless you are in a limousine.
c. When the vehicle is equipped with seat belts.
6. The extra space in front of a large truck is needed for:
a. Other drivers when merging onto a free way.
b. The truck driver to stop the vehicle.
c. Other drivers when they want to slow down.
7. Roads are slippery after it first starts to rain. When the road is slippery you should:
a. Avoid making fast turns and fast stops.
b. Test your tires' traction while going uphill.
c. Decrease the distance you look ahead of your vehicle.
8. Collisions can happen more often when:
a. All vehicles are travelling about the same speed.
b. One lane of traffic is travelling faster than the other lanes.
c. One vehicle is travelling faster or slower than the flow of traffic.
1. When you enter traffic from a stop (away from the curb), you:
a. Should drive slower than other traffic for 200 feet.
b. Need a large enough gap to get up to the speed of traffic.
c. Should wait for the first two vehicles to pass, then drive into the lane.
2. When passing another vehicle, it is safe to return to your lane if you:
a. Cannot see the vehicle directly to your right.
b. See the vehicle’s headlights in your rear view mirror.
c. Have passed the other vehicle’s front bumper.
3. Dim your headlights for oncoming vehicles or when you are within 300 feet of a vehicle:
a. You are approaching from behind.
b. Approaching you from behind.
c. You have already passed.
4. If you see orange construction signs and cones on a free way, you must:
a. Slow down because the lane ends ahead.
b. Be prepared for workers and equipment ahead.
c. Change lanes and maintain your current speed.
5. U-turns in residential districts are legal:
a. On a one-way street on a green arrow.
b. When there are no vehicles approaching nearby.
c. Across two sets of solid double, yellow lines.
6. You consent to take a chemical test for the alcohol content of your blood, breath, or urine:
a. Only if you have been drinking alcohol.
b. Whenever you drive in California.
c. Only if you have a collision.
7. On a green arrow, you must:
a. Yield to any vehicle, bicycle, or pedestrian in the intersection.
b. Yield to pedestrians only in the intersection.
c. Wait four seconds before proceeding.
8. When driving at night on a dimly lit street, you should:
a. Drive slowly enough so you can stop within the area lighted by your headlights.
b. Turn on your high beam headlights to better see the vehicles ahead of you.
c. Keep the instrument panel lights bright to be more visible to other drivers.
correct answers for the above CA dmv test are : 1b, 2b, 3a, 4b, 5b, 6b, 7a, 8a
Following is a video clip of an actual California Drivers' License Examination paper, take a look and expect something the same when you are sitting for your dmv written test.
Part 1 :
Part 2 :
Practice DMV Test For Drivers License
To practice the DMV driving license test, click on the state name below, corresponding state DMV test page will be shown.